Friday, April 25, 2008

Full Steam Behind

During class today - the last law school class I will ever take - I sank into my usual seat, drowning out the less-than-thrilling evidence problem under review, and began my routine of mad internet browsing, Scrabulous turns, and generally thinking about anything else BUT evidence. Mastering the art of pretend note-taking is not an easy endeavor. To be convincing, one must be actively page turning, prepared for cold calling, and naturally, the occasional head nod or pondering glare away from the professor's eyes. So after three full years of training and mastering the art of doing the least amount of work for the highest GPA possible, it is completely natural that during the FINALE today I start to think about what I really learned in law school.

Maybe better if I tell you what I didn't learn: Property, Criminal Law, Income Tax, Evidence, Contracts, Sale of Goods, Oil and Gas. Some of the other traditional first year courses I actually took interest in, so they can't be chucked in with the mind-numbing topics listed above. I did love Constitutional law, fitting for a liberal activist. Immigration law was a tandum to the substantive and procedural due process stuff - so that wasn't too bad.

Aside from this school mumbo gumbo - I did learn about the trials and tribulations life has to offer: marriage, depression, death, health scares...you name it, it's included in the price of a law school education.

You should be asking yourself about now, WHY? Why would anyone do this? Easy answer, they really like law (there are some of those freaks out there). More realistic answer, money. The true American dream. You make the grades, you make the bucks. It's that simple. Most common answer, I didn't know what else to do, and I HAD to do something. Not just something, Something reputable, something you can write home about and your mom can brag to all the other ladies who lunch. Not for the wow effect, as some may think, but for the anti-wow, the general nod of acceptance from anyone you run into at cocktail parties, friend or foe. For the sheer fact that you are getting a degree that is socially acceptable.

Welcome to The Twenty-Something Trap.

No comments: